Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Prayer & Fasting Encounter


Fasting is primarily the act of willingly abstaining from some or all fooddrink, or both, for a period of time. An absolute fast is normally defined as abstinence from all food and liquid for a defined period, usually a single day (24 hours), or several days. Other fasts may be only partially restrictive, limiting particular foods or substance.

  • How does fasting help us prepare? By helping us put even our most basic urges and needs into a lower priority than the task at hand, so we can put our whole selves into it.
  • What effects make fasting useful for preparation?
  • Jesus fasted 40 days in the desert. That led to the temptations, the first of which was to use his powers to make food for himself. Since he was in a fast period preparing himself for the ministry and the trial ahead of him, feeding himself would have made the preparation incomplete. The task ahead was way too important. He had to maintain focus on God.

Why People Fast?

  • self-purification;
  • defeating evil spirits which show forth in the desire for material things;
  • a discipline for one's 'evil' bodily (material) nature, to force it to submit to God.
  • a way to become one with the experience of Christ's suffering by way of one's own suffering.
This is usually done on the first month of the year. Fasting is not the same as dieting. Way to differ. People do fasting for many reason. Probably for repentance, obey or seek God, maybe they wanted something so badly that they hardly pray for it by fasting, or to get ready just like what I did. Get ready for the whole year. Pray for the good things I wish to happen on this 2012 by sacrificing those vices or earthly desires which I'm already attached. The more you sacrifice, the more blessings you will receive. I swear! Fasting is really good and it attracts more blessings. I'm here to testify that. During fast, after the gig, I went to my dentist's clinic near Palengke of San fernando(see, Anlayo) but to saw there's no one! I felt terribly disappointed. Who wouldn't? But I also thought of not complaining anymore instead Thank God(this is what I learned from that day on Gig)because there's might be a reason behind *Everything has a purpose*. Finally at home and Booom! Surprise! we have a brand new computer set. THANK GOD! I felt so blessed on my past few days and I'm loving it.

Sources:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting
http://www.spirithome.com/fasting.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment

back to top